We must be prepared to make heroic sacrifices for the cause of peace that we make ungrudgingly for the cause of war. There is no task that is more important or closer to my heart.” Albert Einstein
6.1 The Techniques of Nonviolent Action by Gene Sharp 6.2 The Politics of Nonviolent Action by Gene Sharp 6.3 The Methods of Nonviolent Protest and Persuasion by Gene Sharp 6.4 Albert Einstein on Pacifism 6.5 Letter to Ernesto Cardenal: Guns Don’t Work by Daniel Berrigan 6.6 Building Confidence at Prairie Creek by Colman McCarthy
[download all of the Lesson Six readings as a PDF file]
- The principle of a “just war” is merely the clever dodge of a government bent on violence. Explain.
- Many believe that Britain could have been removed from America nonviolently. Explain.
- If “guns don’t work” as Daniel Berrigan asserts, why do humans keep resorting to them to resolve conflict?
- Explain why pacifism is an active and not a passive approach to conflict resolution.
- Research and report on a creative demonstration of nonviolent conflict resolution.