“Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau
7.1 On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau 7.2 The Judge and the Bomb by Miles Lord 7.3 Patriotism or Peace by Leo Tolstoy 7.4 What Would You Do If? by Joan Baez 7.5 Pray for Peace but Pay for War by Maurice F. McCrackin 7.6 A Vigil for Life While We Celebrate Death by Colman McCarthy
[download all the Lesson Seven readings in a PDF file]
- Write an essay entitled “Developing the attitude of a peacemaker.”
- Write an essay about your feelings and opinions concerning civil disobedience. Does going to jail for your disobedience really change anything?
- Explain how the concept of satyagraha applies to Poland’s resistance to the Soviet Union.
- What do you think the concept of “turning the other cheek” means in the context of resisting violence and / or aggression.
- What would you do if America was ever invaded by a hostile force?